Some tips and tricks I learned from traveling or something
Don’t pack too much. Probably don’t buy anything special when starting to travel, since you still don’t know what will work for you.
I generally have one raincoat, one midlayer, 3-5 shirts, 5-ish underwears/socks, 1-2 trousers, 1 pair of black tights, 1 pair of shorts. I also carry 1 baseball cap, because it can keep rain from getting on my glasses when it rains.
- Dark trousers. Dark backpack. Even if you wash your clothes often, depending on where you end up, some dirt stains will inevitably just stain. Not worth.
- Probably bright raincoat, black, rain-repellent midlayer.
- Nice to have one very visible color for night/rain
- If your friends ever invite you to a fancy place while it’s cold out, black midlayer is super useful for cities; when it is cold, you need something that can be reasonably acceptable at fancier places. Fancy places hate my green patagonia nano-air.
- For the same reason, unoffensive and passable-looking shoes are helpful.
- Make washing clothes as easy as possible.
- Avoid white where possible. So you can just throw everything in the wash. One exception is a white collar shirt, if applicable to you.
- Avoid clothes with weird wash requirements. It’ll feel bad if you find a place with bedbugs, and you have to wash and dry/melt your $300 techical jacket in a super hot cycle.
Some brands I use right now:
- Oliver’s Apparel – sturdiest merino wool shirts I’ve found. Also have 1 pair of their all-over shorts. I also like their passage pant; I switched to a different pair of pants, and I regret switching.
- Uniqlo - as the Oliver’s stuff wears out, Uniqlo is a brand that’s much easier to find worldwide, so the consistency is nice.
- Patagonia – I have a torrentshell and a nano-air. Nice that I can get them repaired basically around the world. Wish I had gotten the nano-air in black.
- Fjallraven - tbh probably won’t get much from here anymore. But I have their trekking tights, and their backpack. I prefer my Lululemon tights. Backpack is good, but I do wish I bought it in the dark color.